Thursday, June 19, 2008

Interviews for Admission to the Dominican Novitiate


This entry is written in Fatima, Portugal. I arrived here this evening accompanying a group of pilgrims from the Tallaght area. It is my third visit here in the past few years - and I have looked forward to this visit with the usual intentions that I have.

This time though, prayers of thanksgiving will be very much part of my week long pilgrimage here. Giving thanks to God especially for the work of vocations direction and promotion this past year. Yesterday, the admissions board of the Irish province completed their deliberations on the candidates who presented themselves for admission to our novitiate in Limerick. Those who have been accepted will begin their year long novitate early in September 2008.

The process of admitting candidates is long and comprehensive. Those applying will normally have met with me for at least one year, but more often than not for a longer period. The admissions process is the culmiantion of much work and preparation. I think it is a very good process and have always been impressed with the friars and others appointed to assist in its work.

While here, I will be thanking God for the gifts that he gives us - and especially for the men who will take the next step in their discernment process by becoming novices in the Order. Please pray for them and for the Irish Dominican Province.

No comments: